NEW YORK CONFIDENTIALITY PROTOCOLS FOR
VICTIMS OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AND ENDANGERED INDIVIDUALS
Protections for Victims of Domestic Violence Under New York Insurance Law §2612
New York Insurance Law §2612 provides important protections to persons who may be subject to domestic violence. These protections include prohibiting an individual, insurer or entity supervised by the Department of Financial Services, solely because a person is or has been a victim of domestic violence, from:
- Refusing to issue or renew, deny or cancel any insurance policy or contract,
- Demanding or requiring a greater premium or payment from any person,
- Designating domestic violence as a preexisting condition for which coverage will be denied or reduced, and
- Using the fact that a person is or has been a victim of domestic violence as an underwriting criterion.
- Any insured, or the parent or legal guardian of an insured child, or a legal representative of the insured or the parent or legal guardian of an insured child, may submit in writing a reasonable request to the insurer that the insurer should not disclose to the policyholder the following information regarding the insured or child:
Such request must be submitted to: Trustmark Insurance Companies, 400 Field Drive, Lake Forest, IL 60045, ATTN: PRIVACY SECURITY OFFICE.
- The address, telephone number, or any other personally identifying information of the person who made the request or child for whose benefit a request was made;
- The nature of the health care services provided; or
- The name or address of the provider of the covered services.
- The written request should include an alternative address, telephone number, and/or other reasonable method of contact.
- The above request may only be revoked by submitting to the insurer a written sworn statement revoking the request.
For additional assistance, please contact the New York State Domestic and Sexual Violence Hotline.
NYS Domestic and Sexual Violence Hotline: 1‐800‐942‐6906
English & español/Multi-language Accessibility, Deaf or Hard of Hearing: dial 711
Spanish language: 1‐800‐942‐6908
In NYC: 1‐800‐621‐HOPE (4673) or dial 311